Friday, April 11, 2014

Final Project Proposal

For my final project, I am going to teach the employees of Flowers by Mary Lou in Springfield, IL, how to use social media.  I have served as "social media director" for this company for the last 6 months or so, and it's time these ladies learn how to do things themselves.  All of them are confirmed "technophobes," so their experience with technology is somewhat limited. 

I will be teaching them how to create an account for Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.  I will also teach them how to use each site and demonstrate how they can be beneficial to the business.  To aid in my instruction, I will be creating a blog to use for this project which will show screenshots of the appropriate pages and demonstrate the appropriate steps for creating accounts on each platform. 

The shop already has a Facebook page, which I run, but it is difficult sometimes because I am not an employee of the shop and I'm not there every day.  They really need someone in-house to run it so that posts are made more frequently and they can interact with those that comment on the page.  My sister-in-law is the manager and we are good friends of the owners, which is how I inherited this job.  I think they can truly expand their business if they can embrace social media.  I don't know if Twitter is an appropriate platform for them, but it is one they mentioned wanting to learn, so I will show them.  I think Pinterest could be helpful as many young ladies like to create vision pages for things they want in their wedding.  For those brides more like myself that have no vision, the shop could create pages with different ideas to demonstrate what they can do to make a wedding special. 

This should be interesting.

EDIT 4/12/14:  After speaking with the owner of the shop, we're not going to worry about Twitter right now.  We're going to concentrate on Facebook and Pinterest. 

3 comments:

  1. Angie, Facebook is a great marketing tool and you couldn't be more dead on with your client base and target audiences for marketing purposes. Facebook is a must and weekly posts about specials or even just a simple number that they could use at the register that they found on Facebook for 10% off might help generate allot more business. Good luck and I think this is a great project for you to share with your friends or colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea, Angie! Pinterest could be quite valuable to the shop, as they can seek out new ideas that others are sharing. It could be good for Marketing as well since you can create your own Pins which could link to the shop's Facebook page. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,

    Very interesting project! It looks like fun. I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

    Rich Thurman

    ReplyDelete